Tuesday 19 July 2011

To be in your presence

By nature I am an activist. I may tell people that" who we are is more important to God than what we do" but I don't always practice what I preach. I am always thinking about the next thing I should be doing,the next call I should make, the next sermon or script I should write,the next email I should send,the next idea, or the next meeting I should have.
I think it was Oswald Chambers who said " Don't let love for the work of God or even love for the word of God replace love for God Himself"
I need to heed those words and therefore appreciated this article Has mission become our idol?
I will try and learn from it!

The quote from Vanier which I spotted in the comments on the article is also worthy of contemplation

“The more we become people of action and responsibility in our community, the more we must become people of contemplation. If we do not nurture our deep emotional life in prayer hidden in God, if we do not spend time in silence and if we do not know how to take time from the presence of our brothers and sisters, we risk becoming embittered. It is only to the extent that we nurture our own hearts that we can keep interior freedom. People who are hyperactive, fleeing from their deep selves and their wound, become tyrannical and their exercise of responsibility only creates conflict.” Vanier, Community and Commitment."

No comments:

Post a Comment