Over the past year or two we have also run Italian evenings,curry evenings ,afternoon teas ,and a Christmas brunch.These have attracted decent numbers of people
The idea has been to get to know the people around our buildings and to bless them
So today we had over 150 people at our Community Christmas Brunch . They came from all around the local area and from as far afield as Romania and South Korea! Ages ranged from a few months to those well into their nineties.We represented a very wide cross section of society and it was great fun! There was a sense to togetherness as we enjoyed good food and sang traditional Christmas carols. We also thought together about the real meaning of Christmas.The morning was rounded of with a rousing rendition of the 12 days of Christmas-with actions!
The comments as people left made it clear everyone had had an amazing time.
Reflecting on the morning I was delighted
- We had attracted so many people who don't normally come into our building and got to know some of them much better
- People felt they had really enjoyed themselves
- We had shared a bit about the real meaning of Christmas
- As a church we had been willing to try something a bit different
- Our church people had been enthusiastic about getting to know our neighbours and inviting them along
I have no doubt we have a long, long way to go to become the church God wants us to be, but I also have no doubt that we have already travelled a considerable distance along that road .
These are exciting times and I believe even more exciting time lie ahead